May 23, 2013 § Leave a comment
Family owned and operated, the Harrell Nut Company has been a major supplier of pecans since 1973. The firm’s two shelling plants are SQF 2000 Code Level 2-certified for safety and can shell over 400,000 pounds of pecans every day. The company shares some little-known facts about pecans below.
1. Eight to 12 ounces, or about 78 pecans, go into the typical pecan pie.
2. It would take 97,812,000 9-inch pecan pies to circle the earth.
3. To reach the top of the Empire State Building in New York, you’d have to stack 11,624 pecans end to end.
4. Pecan trees are prodigious producers of fruit. A healthy acre of pecan trees can produce about a half-ton of pecans!
5. The pecan tree is native to the U.S. and pecans are one of Americans’ favorite healthy snacks. Pecans are a good source of vitamin B1 (thiamin), magnesium, fiber, oleic acid, and protein.
6. The pecan tree has been the state tree of Texas since 1919.
7. The pecan capital of the U.S. is Albany, Georgia, with 600,000 pecan trees. It is also the home of the annual National Pecan Festival.
8. Pecans are good for your heart, can help lower total blood cholesterol, and may even be helpful against some types of cancer.